VUWSA To Make You Feel Safe

VUWSA has launched a Campus Safety Audit after a recent survey revealed many students don’t feel safe at the university.

Of the more than 4000 students who participated in VUWSA’s consultation, many highlighted safety on campus as a key issue which needs to be addressed.
VUWSA President Seamus Brady says the students’ association is dedicated to ensuring all student experiences at Victoria are positive.

This includes students feeling like they are studying in a safe academic and social environment. Sadly however, for some students, this is not always the case.”

The highest level of concern about a safety issue came from women. Of those who took the survey, 26 per cent felt there was inadequate lighting and a lack of safe pathways on campus.

Discrimination was also identified as an issue, with 18 per cent of Asian students saying this made them feel unsafe.

Brady says the first step of the Safety Audit will be an anonymous student survey. He says this will be followed by focus groups of students from specific demographics.

The information gathered in the Audit will be supplemented by physical examinations of areas highlighted as problematic by students.

Brady says the intended outcome of the Audit is to put together a series of recommendations for VUWSA and Victoria University to act on, as well as providing a student voice in any review of safety and security by the University.

Campus Services’ Associate Director Rainsforth Dix says that while there is no formal review of safety and campus security currently being undertaken by the University, information gathered by VUWSA will be valuable.

Any information gained from students, such as the survey being undertaken by VUWSA, will be beneficial in the development of our work programme,” says Dix.

More information on VUWSA’s Safety Audit can be found at vuwsa.org.nz.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip