July 25, 2011 | by  |

VUWSA To Make You Feel Safe

VUWSA has launched a Campus Safety Audit after a recent survey revealed many students don’t feel safe at the university.

Of the more than 4000 students who participated in VUWSA’s consultation, many highlighted safety on campus as a key issue which needs to be addressed.
VUWSA President Seamus Brady says the students’ association is dedicated to ensuring all student experiences at Victoria are positive.

This includes students feeling like they are studying in a safe academic and social environment. Sadly however, for some students, this is not always the case.”

The highest level of concern about a safety issue came from women. Of those who took the survey, 26 per cent felt there was inadequate lighting and a lack of safe pathways on campus.

Discrimination was also identified as an issue, with 18 per cent of Asian students saying this made them feel unsafe.

Brady says the first step of the Safety Audit will be an anonymous student survey. He says this will be followed by focus groups of students from specific demographics.

The information gathered in the Audit will be supplemented by physical examinations of areas highlighted as problematic by students.

Brady says the intended outcome of the Audit is to put together a series of recommendations for VUWSA and Victoria University to act on, as well as providing a student voice in any review of safety and security by the University.

Campus Services’ Associate Director Rainsforth Dix says that while there is no formal review of safety and campus security currently being undertaken by the University, information gathered by VUWSA will be valuable.

Any information gained from students, such as the survey being undertaken by VUWSA, will be beneficial in the development of our work programme,” says Dix.

More information on VUWSA’s Safety Audit can be found at vuwsa.org.nz.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. The Übermensch 37 views
  2. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 34 views
  3. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 26 views
  4. Salient seeks new contributors 23 views
  5. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 19 views
  6. The Bresolin Brothers 18 views
  7. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 15 views
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 15 views
  9. Shovel Knight 14 views
  10. Twitterviews 12 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more