July 25, 2011 | by  | in Theatre |

Young and Hungry?

Side effects of Young and Hungry include (but are not limited to): enhanced knowledge of the theatre industry, increase in number of Facebook friends, heightened exposure to potential future directors, general super-happy fun times.  

You’re a student so you know how it feels to be young and hungry. How about knowing what it feels like to be in Young and Hungry though? That’s where things get interesting, friend, and allow me to explain why. Young and Hungry is an annual two-week festival in which industry professionals mentor young’uns aged 15 – 25 in staging three new New Zealand scripts at BATS Theatre. You can audition for an acting role or throw your lot in with lighting, sound, assistant directing, set, costumes or stage management. Sounds like a dream, I know, but perhaps you’re curious as to why you should get all ravenous and youthful.

Getting involved in the Wellington theatre scene is a bit like trying to land your first job in a cafe, and I’m assuming here that you’ve all considered doing time in the hospitality industry, in that if you don’t have experience then you aren’t as likely to be hired but if you don’t get the job then how are you supposed to get the experience? Working with Young and Hungry will get you onstage at BATS to flex your performance muscle as well as introduce you to industry professionals who you might end up working with in the future. Perhaps you loved being in productions back in the days of high school but are a bit mystified by, and vaguely afraid of, what awaits you in the big, bad world of (cue pretentious use of capitalisation) Theatre. Getting into a Y&H show will have you working in a professional structure but with mentors to guide you; a delectable sort of safety net to keep you secure whilst savouring the giddy heights of theatrical involvement and having an a outrageously good time doing it.

Want to try before you buy?

Then go and take a gander at what the Young and Hungry 2011 Festival has to offer. For a mere $30 you, a student, can see all three plays (that’s only $10 per play!) and have a nibble at the tasty, tasty banquet that is Young and Hungry.

First Course

For Johnny at 6.30pm
By Whiti Hereaka
Directed by Eleanor Bishop

It’s the final year of high school and Johnny is dead. His tight-knit circle of friends, rocked by the loss of him, questions the nature of their relationships now that Johnny is gone. Come along to see this intimate cast of six pick up the pieces in “a beautifully moving coming-of-age drama” at the start of the evening.

Second Course

Hearts Encoded at 8pm
By Aaron Alexander
Directed by Rachel Lenart
Can you imagine a world which would allow you to be anything you want to be? Well, it already exists and it’s called the Internet. Hearts Encoded invites us to witness just how blurred the borders between fantasy and reality can be when avatars and social networking sites let us to tailor our identities at a whim.

Third Course

Disorder at 9.30pm
By Thomas Sainsbury
Directed by Robin Kerr
Not many plays claim to hope that their audiences “make it out alive” but then not many plays are about apocalyptic zombie attacks in New Zealand. Disorder looks set to be a wild spectacle of gorey zombie adventure.