Guest Editorial. Gueditorial.

Another year, another Gaylient.

Hello, and happy gay week to all you queerdos and queer-interested folk at Victoria University. This is your Salient.
One of the paradoxes we’ve found in guest-editing this edition is that being gay means lots and nothing, all at the same time. We live in a weird and wonderful zeitgeist in which a squiffy sexuality sets you apart for sure: biologically and historically (as the wonderful Matthew Ellison, Antony Reid and Meghan Harris point out). We differ in our challenges (by Selina Powell) and our champions (Duncan Hope) and, perhaps more notably, our lovers! (Cruz Johnson and Evie Anderson).

But queerness does not an identity make, or at least not any more. We live in an integrated world, and being gay no longer means that your personality must stereotypically follow suit. We come in so many shapes and sizes, flavours and varieties that there is no longer such a thing as ‘gay acting’ or indeed ‘straight acting’. If being gay had a middle name it would be Diversity. That’s what makes it awesome.
Indeed, as a wise man once said, ‘queerness isn’t who you are, it’s who you fuck’. Truth.

But, as fluid and generally accepted as alternative sexuality is for many of us, we are not there yet. As much as the youth of today often feel that queerness is just a part of who they are (a nice, challenging, vibrant, wonderful part!) it is still often viewed as a nasty be-all and end-all—by lawmakers, friends, parents, employers, people. Hopefully one day, the formula for a socially insignificant relationship won’t be exclusive to P + V.

So, there goes our annual opportunity to have a philosophical rant at y’all. Hope we didn’t lose ya! A big thank you to the Salient crew for giving us a voice and a medium, help, and support. Thank you to our wonderful contributors who have given us their time and effort in writing such superb pieces. Thank you to the UniQ exec for a kick-ass year so far.
And high-five to you. You’re reading it! How cool is that?!

1. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  2. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  3. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  4. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  5. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  6. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands
  7. VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation
  8. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  9. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  10. I Lift My Eyes
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos