HOLY FUCKING SHIT Students Eat Pizza

Last Thursday VUWSA held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) which resulted in a lively debate and a number of changes being made to the association.

The meeting began when a quorum of 100 students was reached at 1.15pm. Of the executive, only VUWSA Education Officer Jen Fellows was absent and provided her apologies.

The meeting quickly moved through the procedural items on the agenda, passing the 2010 AGM Minutes, the 2011 VUWSA Half-Year Report and the Statement of Accounts in quick succession.

One student raised concern about students’ ability to really scrutinise the Half-Year Report.

“It’s a pretty detailed document… it would be good to have [more than] half an hour or so to read it first,” he said.
VUWSA President Seamus Brady said the reports would ideally be available earlier and blamed the delay on “production problems.”
At this point, the meeting shifted to technological problems as Brady failed to successfully change his powerpoint slide.
“The technology appears to have broken,” he told students.

The meeting then considered the proposed changes to VUWSA’s Constitution. The first was uncontroversial and students voted to support the title change from Vice-President (Education) to Vice-President (Academic).

There was a certain irony in the second amendment which saw Vice President (Adminstration) Daniel Wilson speak in favour of disestablishing his own position. Students supported the change which will see this position be replaced with the position of Treasurer in 2012.

Technical changes were also made to allow students the option of voting ‘no confidence’ in VUWSA elections when voting for the Publications Committee Representative and the University Council Representative.

The final change to be approved was to allow online voting for motions in Special Representative Councils, which received considerable debate.

At this stage one hungry student asked Brady, “Hey man, when’s the feed?”

Following this interruption, Brady attempted to move that all constitutional changes be adopted but stumbled over the motion and was saved only by Clubs Officer Jeremy ‘Jezza’ Peters, who managed to successfully express himself.

Daniel Wilson then moved a motion that VUWSA award Dave Guerin life membership, which was passed. Guerin is the current Chairman of the VUWSA Trust and was president of VUWSA in 1993.

The meeting then moved to other business which allowed students present to engage in significant debate.

VUWSA Queer Officer Tom Reed moved that VUWSA actively support the Legalise Love Campaign. This campaign seeks equality in marriage and adoption laws for same-sex couples as well as preventing homophobic bullying.

A motion was also put forward by student Stella Blake-Kelly which asked that VUWSA engage in a consultation process with students over the potential changes to the association, should it be forced to operate in an environment of voluntary student membership. It also asked for any recommendations from this consultation to be voted upon by students at a general meeting.

Both of these motions were met with considerable debate but were eventually passed.

The meeting was closed at 2.01pm which was the cue for students to dash for the free pizza, Red Bull and sausage sizzle.
“I had to wait an hour for this pizza so I’m glad there was lots,” said one student.

Some students were satisfied with the meeting. “I am really glad the Legalise Love thing passed, it’s a great cause,” said one such student.
Others were less impressed.

“At times they appeared to have no idea what they were supposed to be doing,” the student said.

The article on page 10 provides more information concerning the debate around motions on online voting, Legalise Love and VSM.