August 1, 2011 | by  | in Music |

Interview… Karl Stevens

The Drab Doo-Riffs’ arrival in our fair city is imminent and happily anticipated. Their live shows are infamously good and with the inimitable Karl Stevens at the

helm, you can be assured of deceptively clever rock’n’roll and a goddamn good time.

How did the Drab Doo-Riffs come into being?

Well, the songs I started writing when I was living in England, so it sort of started out by myself really, and a friend of mine encouraged me to put them up on MySpace, just these demos that I’d done with a dictaphone, and so they sat there for a while under the name Drab Doo-Riffs, until I moved back to New Zealand, then I started thinking, “wouldn’t it be nice to get a band together and muck around with these songs, write new songs, and play gigs etc.” And that’s pretty much what happened. I would just point the people who I came across to the MySpace and if they liked the songs that was the sole criteria really. And kind of miraculously Marcus, the bass player, was into it, and then Lucy, who I work with in the Vietnam War, she was really keen, and then Mikey was keen to work with Lucy, and then Caoimhe was keen as well, she’s my sister-in-law, and I just thought “wouldn’t it be good to have another vocalist and someone to add a different flavour.” And so that’s how it came together.

So you wrote those demos in England by yourself, how much do you think about how songs will work live when you’re writing?

Well they changed a lot when we all got together in a practice room, the songs got bigger and everyone’s different tastes polished up the songs. But really when we’re writing them it’s a bonus if they are going to work well live. Occasionally we write something and go, ‘oh that’ll go well live’ but just whatever blows our hair back is what we go for really. There are two sorts of ways I write really… *
Read the rest online!

Drab Doo-Riffs supporting Liam Finn
Saturday 6th August at San Francisco Bath House

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan