Lovin’ From the Oven – Everybody Loves a Ginger

Gingernuts are the best thing out when you are looking for something to dunk in your cup of tea. They’re a little spicy, a little crunchy and a whole lot delicious. They are certainly a Kiwi favourite and my boyfriend is always happy to polish off a batch in one sitting.
• 2 cups of flour
• 1 cup of caster sugar
• 2 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• ½ tsp baking soda
• 125g of butter, cut into small cubes
• 1 egg
• 1 big tbsp golden syrup/honey
Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius and cover a baking tray with baking paper. In a small bowl beat egg, golden syrup/honey together until nicely combined. In another bowl, sift the flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and baking soda together. Now using your fingertips, rub the cubed butter into the dry ingredients. Try not to melt it when you are doing this, you want to rub it into the dry ingredients so they resemble fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and pour in the wet ingredients which you have already combined. Work into a firm dough (you can use a wooden spoon, or just get into it and use your hands). Roll into balls in whichever size your heart desires, if you like little bite-sized bits for dunking, do that, or make one huge cookie if you really want to impress someone. Pop the ball(s) onto your baking tray. I like to flatten them out with a fork (wet it a little so it doesn’t stick); it makes them flatter and therefore a bit crispier. Bake for about 15 minutes or until they are golden brown; you can leave them a little longer if you like them quite hard. Transfer to a cake rack and let cool.

Enjoy with a cup of tea!

1