Lovin’ From The Oven – Sweet & Simple

I made this recipe last week after finding it on an awesome blog written by a clever lady in New South Wales, you can go check it out at towards-sustainability.com. It has heaps of great recipes, gardening tips and a few nifty craft projects too (including how to make your own reusable fabric sandwich wrappers!) I thought it would be a nice idea to make some muesli slice at home, perfect to take in your lunch or as a wee treat with your afternoon cup of tea.

Muesli Slice
• 2 cups rolled oats
• 6 weet-bix
• ½ cup of sultanas
• A handful of dried apricots
• 1 cup of orange juice (if you don’t have orange juice, you can use water with some brown sugar, but the orangy taste is delicious)
• 1/3 cup of honey

Crush up the weet-bix in a large bowl. Add the oats, apricots and sultanas to the oat mixture. Put the honey and orange juice in a small saucepan and pop on a medium heat on the stove. Stir regularly and bring to a boil, simmer for about 10 minutes until it becomes a little syrupy. Add the orange juice to the bowl of dry ingredients and combine. Tip out into either a lined baking dish or a tray with a bit of baking paper on it. Press it down until it is roughly rectangular and a couple of centimetres thick. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until toasty brown. Cool in/on the baking tray and then turn out and chop into which ver shapes and sizes your heart desires.

This recipe is simple and the slice is a yummy, chewy consistency. When I make it again, I am going to swap one of the weet-bix for some nuts and seeds and maybe throw in a little cinnamon. *

1