New Zealand In Vogue

French Vogue, British Vogue, American Vogue, Italian Vogue… New Zealand Vogue?

This somewhat-forgotten part of New Zealand history will be little known to many but Te Papa celebrates the former publication with New Zealand In Vogue. Feast your eyes on some of Te Papa’s extensive textile collection as the pages of Vogue New Zealand inspire the curation of this exhibition. The publication ran from 1957 to 1968, originally being set up along with Australian Vogue by the British counterpart. Alas, New Zealand’s version did not last the distance that Australian Vogue has, but visitors can now see some of the subjects covered in the publication come to life. The exhibition is divided into different themes, including an examination of our relationship with both wool and the colour black. Both synonymous with New Zealand style, often in the form of a black singlet, a trip to this exhibition will show you a far more sophisticated history with evening dresses and stylish suits. It showcases some of the history of our top designers and the designs made under licences in New Zealand by leading fashion houses like Christian Dior. My personal favourite item in the collection is a dress from the 1960s designed by Dior and manufactured by El Jay, bought by an Auckland mother to wear to her son’s wedding. The piece is exquisite in its jewel detailing and velvet bow. If you too cannot resist a look at some vintage brocade I would advise a trip to this exhibition. *

New Zealand in Vogue, Te Papa, Eyelights, Level 4

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties