Queer Officer

As the Queer goddess herself, Cher, once said, “I can trust my friends.

These people force me to examine, encourage me to grow.” And here at Vic, that’s what we’re all about. Indeed, this sentiment of togetherness, of challenge and debate is at the core of queer communities the world over. If the gay movement has shown us anything, it’s that us homos are thick as thieves, and good God we can show it. Pride Parades, rallies, law changing, awareness campaigns—ever been to a big gay rave? The queers do togetherness well, and today our community is testament to this, and truly something to be proud of.

When once upon a time all queer communities were forced, literally, underground, today not only are we largely accepted, but one could even describe this community as integrated. As Merideth Baxter once famously said on NBC, that ‘coming out is a political act’—she meant that we are all poster-kids for gayness—that each time you foster understanding by example, the gay community gets a little bigger. We call these people (the ones who think the gay ain’t so bad) allies. After all, by its very definition, queer is anything but exclusive.

Indeed, this community comes in all shapes, sizes and shades of fabulous. Some big bold and brazen, some buzzing away in the background—political, cultural, social, academic, lesbian, bisexual, gay or trans*. We are all a part of a bigger picture, and anything we can do in our own bumbling, individual ways to keep queerness alive and kicking is a good thing, no matter how insignificant.

So, moral of this story? Get your fine asses to some queer stuff on campus! Cause we wouldn’t be anything without you. Coming up soon:
General Meetings
BYO Allies Night
Legalise Love
Safe Spaces
Girls’ Group
And last but not least …
UniQ Ball

1. Kethan says:

Ab fab my gooldy man.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough