Vic playing hard to get with school leavers; School leavers wary, have been hurt before

Getting amongst the best is about to get harder as Victoria moves to raise the enrolment requirements for new students.

At a Special Council Meeting last week it was decided that the Guaranteed Entry Score (GES) for 2012 enrolments would be raised from 120 to 150 points. The GES for the Bachelor of Architecture and Bachelor of Building Science will be raised to 180.

Some believe that this is an attempt to signal that Victoria provides the highest quality education. The GES for Auckland University is 140.
But University Council Representative Conrad Reyners is concerned about the message this change is sending students.
“We don’t know what the deterrent effect of this will be,” he says.

“If you’re constantly changing this number then it will look bad if they put it back down. What signal does that send students?”
This year, Victoria introduced a managed enrolment scheme in response to a funding cap. This saw Victoria introduce the Guaranteed Entry Score which assigns prospective students a score based on their NCEA grades.