Welfare Officer

Justice—it comes in many shapes and forms.

It might be as simple as someone making something right with you after they’ve wronged you, it might be simply getting the mark you deserved in an assignment, or it might just simply be living a moral life, living out what you know to be right and true. No higglety-pigglety stuff.

Whatever justice means for you, living out your everyday life without bringing harm to others is definitely a good way to live!

As Welfare Officer at VUWSA, I believe that it’s my role to ensure that justice prevails. I know that sounds perhaps a little simple, and maybe even a little ambitious, but it is essentially what I am here to do.

I believe that part of my role at VUWSA is to encourage students’ to be socially responsible citizens. Too often students are labelled as lazy bludgers, who know nothing about the real world. But I know this is not true.

Part of encouraging students to be socially responsible citizens is the role we can play in the wider community. VUWSA recently sent a group of students to Christchurch to help with the ongoing Earthquake recovery which was a hugely rewarding experience.

Every day I see students acting out justice, whether it be by speaking out for those who don’t have a voice, handing in someone’s lost USB, or lending a helping hand to the person who is 20 cents short for the bus.

Ultimately that is why VUWSA was set up—to lend a helping hand—after all, we are students serving students. There are so many services available at VUWSA which are there for a collective good. Even though you may not utilise the services in a tangible way, we are there in the background working to make University life better for you. There are also your fellow students who might use our services regularly like our Free Bread and Foodbank services—as a member of VUWSA you are helping them too!

When justice prevails there is a shimmer of hope that all is well with the world. I hope that everything I do makes the world a better place – but I also know I am human, and can only do so much. I guess what I am saying is ‘keep on keeping on’ and everything will be OK. I think that people are inherently good and there are few who screw it up for the rest of us.

Living a moral life, being true to yourself and believing in doing things for the greater good is a great place to start. So in your day, remember those who are less fortunate, think about your actions and how they effect others, and have fun doing it! It feels good to know you are doing good!

Yours in Justice
Ta’ase Vaoga
welfare.officer@vuwsa.org.nz

1