Black Cap Dislikes Black Eyes

Students joined Black Cap Peter McGlashan to launch a nationwide campaign across university campuses to combat family violence last Tuesday.

The event hosted by NZUSA’s Tertiary Women’s Focus Group celebrated New Zealand students’ associations’ decision to join the Blow the Whistle campaign.
McGlashan, the campaign’s organiser, explained it is an attempt to combat family violence using sporting discourses and kiwi sportspeople as role models.
“Using the language of sport is a good way to connect with the part of the population who are hard to get to listen on the subject of family violence,” he said.
The campaign utilises sportspeople such as Richard Kahui on material distributed around organisations like rugby clubs and schools.

NZUSA’s National Women’s Rights Officer (NWRO) Caitlin Dunham said students’ associations were proud to be part of the campaign and could contribute to tackling violence at a grass-roots level.

“Tertiary sports teams are a breeding ground for national sports players, and sportspeople are community role models,” she said.

“If they get on board with this campaign it will show the public that violence due to sports is not acceptable and lead to a culture change.”

NZUSA has given $850 to the campaign which will purchase 1000 Blow the Whistle whistles, 2400 posters and 1400 coasters for use on tertiary campuses. The funding comes from their NWRO campaigns budget which the umbrella organisation of students’ associations said at its January conference should be spent campaigning against violence during the Rugby World Cup.

1