Canterbury Uni Follows Apple Model, Cuts Jobs

An internal document forecasting the University of Canterbury’s finances over the next ten years has proposed cutting 350 jobs, according to the Tertiary Education Union.

With the prediction that student numbers will decrease by 13 per cent, the university has begun to review its courses and programmes in order to cope with a reduced budget.
The cuts in academic, general and technical staff would take place over three years, and see an 18 per cent reduction in staffing numbers from 1947 to 1596.

Tertiary Education Union national president Sandra Grey says the Tertiary Education Minister Steven Joyce has not made enough effort to protect the university.

“The university is an essential public infrastructure. It has a key role to play in the next year helping the city rebuild. It cannot do that without government support.”
The union says no additional funding has been made available by the Tertiary Education Commission or the minister, which will see in a shortfall of $12-18 million
next year.

1. Ian Wells says:

How about improving the desirability of a University of Canterbury degree compared to other NZ universities? For example, making a one year work term an integral part of the degree, enabling graduates to get better paying jobs sooner? That could attract more students and address the budget problem

Ian Wells

1