Lovin’ from the Oven – Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding

Alarmed by the slow flurries that hit the windy city just a few weeks ago, my flatmates and I were feeling pretty sorry for ourselves.
Our Aro Valley flat is poorly insulated and, heaters seeming like a far too expensive option, we warmed ourselves and our souls by throwing together a delicious chocolate self-saucing pud. The microwave options are so easy, but don’t be tempted! Put a little extra time into it and you will be greatly rewarded for lovingly baking that tasty treat in an oven.

• 100 g butter
• 1 C sugar
• 2 tbs cocoa powder
• 1 1/3 C flour
• 4 tsp baking powder
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 2/3 C milk
• 1 C brown sugar
• 4 tbs golden syrup
• 4 tbs cocoa powder
• 2 C boiling water

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Melt butter in the microwave and then mix the sugar and cocoa powder into it. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine. Then add the milk. I like to use an electric mixer, which makes for a smooth, lump-free batter. Grease an oven dish. Something like an oven-proof casserole pot with a lid works best, but any oven-proof dish will work so long as the batter only fills 1/3 of the depth (or you will get overflow). Sprinkle/squeeze sugar, golden syrup and cocoa powder over the top, then gently pour over boiling water. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for five minutes. Serve with runny cream.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this