Lovin’ from the Oven – If You Like Pina Coladas…

Everyone has a go-to flavour, and I think mine might be coconut.

I love anything coconut scented or flavoured so I was pretty stoked when I stumbled across this gem on stuff.co.nz, kindly given to them by the legendary Alison Holst. I knew it was going to be delicious, and it didn’t disappoint. If you happen to be a bit partial to the delights of coconut or just want to try something a little different, give this a whirl.

Lemon Coconut Loaf
• 1 lemon (both the zest and juice)
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 large egg
• ¼ cup vegetable oil (I used coconut, just give it a quick zap in the microwave to turn it into a liquid)
• ½ cup milk (if you can’t have dairy, you can replace this with coconut or soy milk)
• 1 tsp of vanilla extract
• 1 ½ cup desiccated coconut
• 1 cup self raising four
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius and grease your loaf tin with a small amount of margarine or butter. In a medium bowl, add the lemon juice and zest to the sugar and mix. Then add the egg, oil, milk and vanilla to the sugar and give it a good whisk until it is pale and creamy. In a separate bowl, add the coconut and salt then sift in the flour and baking powder. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the sugar mixture, stir until just combined and pour into your prepared loaf tin. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden and a knife comes out clean when inserted into the middle.

The original recipe gave the suggestion of sprinkling a little more coconut on top, I decided not to and it was perfectly fine without it. If you wanted something a little more tropical you could use limes or if you aren’t too much of a fan of citrus you could omit it altogether. Next time I might use pineapple in place of the lemon and invent a kind of ‘90s pina colada loaf, just for the lols.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough