Lovin’ from the Oven – If You Like Pina Coladas…

Everyone has a go-to flavour, and I think mine might be coconut.

I love anything coconut scented or flavoured so I was pretty stoked when I stumbled across this gem on stuff.co.nz, kindly given to them by the legendary Alison Holst. I knew it was going to be delicious, and it didn’t disappoint. If you happen to be a bit partial to the delights of coconut or just want to try something a little different, give this a whirl.

Lemon Coconut Loaf
• 1 lemon (both the zest and juice)
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 large egg
• ¼ cup vegetable oil (I used coconut, just give it a quick zap in the microwave to turn it into a liquid)
• ½ cup milk (if you can’t have dairy, you can replace this with coconut or soy milk)
• 1 tsp of vanilla extract
• 1 ½ cup desiccated coconut
• 1 cup self raising four
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius and grease your loaf tin with a small amount of margarine or butter. In a medium bowl, add the lemon juice and zest to the sugar and mix. Then add the egg, oil, milk and vanilla to the sugar and give it a good whisk until it is pale and creamy. In a separate bowl, add the coconut and salt then sift in the flour and baking powder. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the sugar mixture, stir until just combined and pour into your prepared loaf tin. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden and a knife comes out clean when inserted into the middle.

The original recipe gave the suggestion of sprinkling a little more coconut on top, I decided not to and it was perfectly fine without it. If you wanted something a little more tropical you could use limes or if you aren’t too much of a fan of citrus you could omit it altogether. Next time I might use pineapple in place of the lemon and invent a kind of ‘90s pina colada loaf, just for the lols.

1