Peas and Queues

I’ll admit—I’m a Green voter. Each election, just to be safe, I give my other vote to Labour. And I hate John Key.

In my opinion, he’s a limp dick of a man with little nous about anything but how to make money. Though even that he seems more inclined to do for himself and his buddies, rather than for New Zealand. He’s flaunted democratic process with an arrogance not seen since Muldoon. The only thing he has going for him is the slick PR team who have helped him retain his glowing reputation as an everyman working for the good of regular Kiwis. Pffft.

As much as it pains me to say it, I know there are Salient readers out there who disagree with my views. Not just on John Key, but how best to tackle the social and environmental issues facing our communities.

Young Nats and ACT on Campus, I’m talking to you. I might even be talking to people who don’t give a shit about politics, but just think John Key is a really nice guy. Or people out there who are like, “Huh? I thought this was an advice column.”

My advice for all of you this week is: enrol to vote. I actually don’t care who you vote for—well, I would prefer you voted Labour/Green, but hey, that’s your choice—I just think you should vote.

The issues at stake in this election are big. They affect a lot of ordinary people who really couldn’t care less about the pompous political manoeuvring and just want some assurances that they’re going to be able to feed their families and give their kids a decent education.

Not to mention the damage that could be done by uninformed people who ‘just feel like a change’, and vote for a move away from MMP at the referendum this election.
So quit fucking around on Facebook and go to secure.elections.org.nz/app/enrol/ to check your details or sign up. Waiting for the bus? Call 0800 36 76 56. If you’re feeling really lazy. You can free text your name and where you live to 3676.

You’ve got until the day before the election to do it, just get it done. Yay, Phil Goff! (C’mon, he’s doing his best.)

1. Thejackel says:

Derp derp derp..

1