Peas & Queues

I don’t envy those of you about to graduate from university. There’s a recession still meandering on, and worse, there’s a government in power who seem to think that the public service is an evil like no other.

That’s bad news for those of you with BAs, who have been sheltered from the real world by the puffed-up salaries and blur of bureaucracy in the public service for many years. You BCA graduates should still be alright—I hear the banks are still making zillions in profits despite the downturn. Funny that.
For those a tad scared about being plunged into the workforce, or more accurately, almost certain unemployment, here are a few tips to help you on your way to the salaried world.

No shame in moving home

There really isn’t. If you’re skint and jobless, make the most of that unconditional love and live rent-free for a while. Hopefully your Mum and Dad haven’t turned your old room into a gym/office/spare room for the grandchildren.

Consider the provinces

The lure of the city is strong, I know. I like it here too. But come November, there are always more graduates than there are graduate-level jobs. Consider checking out jobs in the provinces—the rent is cheap, and there are still jobs going, especially in summer. Right now there are jobs for a mystery shopper in Paihia, a shepherd in Gore, a dive instructor in Hawke’s Bay, a kayak guide in the Sounds, bar staff near Franz Josef glacier, and a Fudge Cottage sales assistant (does it matter where Fudge Cottage is, really?).

Consider leaving—but come back

While you might not get your dream job in London anymore, or even a job vaguely related to what you studied, there are still jobs at bars/cafes and plenty of room for English-speaking nannies. There are also summer camp jobs in the US which can be a lot of fun (and which you can string along into late summer, then winter camps), the ski-fields in Canada, and work on organic farms everywhere else. Make the most of those working visas before you turn 30. No-one really expects you to have a ‘career’ until you’re 35.

Volunteering is good for everyone

So you keep getting feedback that you don’t have enough experience, and you’re all like, but how the fuck am I meant to get experience? Volunteering. It’s a good way to get some experience under your belt, meet some people (that’s actually how you get jobs in New Zealand), and figure out what you do and don’t like. Will also prevent Dr Phil and The Little Couple addictions.

When all else fails, mention Twitter

You know what scares old people? Twitter. If your CV isn’t getting you through the door, try mentioning Twitter in your job application—whether you actually get it/like it yourself or not—and they’ll think they need you. Y’know, to stay hip and connected. *