People are Actually Running in the VUWSA Election

The numbers are in: despite Salient’s doubts, nominations have been received for all the positions on VUWSA’s next year.

28 students were announced as contenders for the roles after nominations closed on Wednesday last week. This time last week, just five nominations had been received, and Salient predicted that the upcoming election “could well be a shambles”.

Incumbent Vice-President (Education) Bridie Hood is the sole nomination for President, Dinocop’s nomination having been deemed invalid by Returning Officer Jamie Beckers. Hood will instead fight it out against ‘no-confidence’.

Hood was the only executive to receive a five-star rating in Salient’s critique of the exec’s half-yearly work reports, and is one of just two incumbent VUWSA members running for a position again next year. This lack of experience could be trying for the association as it heads into a voluntary environment in 2012.

Students will have a chance to meet and question the candidates on Wednesday 21 September, from 12-2pm in the Memorial Theatre—and yes, there will be a BBQ.
A full list of the nominees can be found at vuwsa.org.nz

1