Pro-MMP @ VUW

Election fever has spread to Victoria University, with the establishment of a new club—Victoria Students for MMP.

The club was established to raise awareness of the nationwide Campaign for MMP, which hopes to mobilise public support for the MMP electoral system leading up to the government’s planned 2011 referendum. The referendum, which coincides with the general election on November 26, will ask voters if they want to retain MMP or move to a new system.

Organiser Joe Beaglehole says the club was established to build support on campus, answer any questions that students might have and encourage them to vote.
“There are 100,000 young people not enrolled to vote, and that’s really tragic. So we’re really trying to fix that and get people involved,” he says.

They plan on having weekly stalls across all three of the major campuses, handing out flyers and have already begun announcements in lectures to raise awareness.
The club is currently in the process of officially affiliating with VUWSA, and is expected to do so in the coming weeks. A Vote for Change group is yet to make an appearance on campus.

For more information or to get involved check out their Facebook page ‘Victoria Uni Students for MMP’—and keep an eye out for Salient’s Politics issue for further information on the referendum.

1