The Election Is Coming and It Needs Nominees!

The first stage in the annual VUWSA General Election is now underway, with nominations open for the 13 executive positions, University Council and Publications Committee representatives.

Following constitutional changes decided upon at the VUWSA Annual General Meeting in August, the position of Vice-President (Administration) has been replaced by a Treasurer position.

This year students will also be given the option to vote ‘no confidence’ for those standing for University Council and Publications Committee representatives.
A new position of Vice-President (Engagement) was meant to replace both the Activities and Campaigns Officers, but it failed to be enacted at the AGM due to constitutional procedure. It is expected that this positional change will be in place for next year’s election.

Students must be enrolled and a full financial member of VUWSA in order to serve on the Association’s general executive, and vote in the election.
The nomination dates and polling week differs from those given in the VUWSA diary and wallplanner, with nominations closing at 4.30pm Wednesday 14 September, and polling taking place (online and at stalls) from Monday 26 September until 4.30pm Thursday 29 September.

More information on how to nominate oneself, the positions, and guidelines for campaigning is available online at vuwsa.org.nz.
For those for whom serving on the exec holds no appeal, VUWSA’s Publications Committee is also seeking to appoint a Publications Editor to oversee Salient in 2012.

The positions

Executive: Responsible for the strategic direction and governance of VUWSA, while working to further the goals of the association
President
Vice-President (Academic)
Vice-President (Welfare)
Treasurer
Education Officer
Welfare Officer
Women’s Officer
International Officer
Queer Officer
Environmental Officer
Campaigns Officer
Activities Officer
Clubs Officer
Publications Committee representative (2 positions)
University Council student representative

The propaganda:

Why you should run,
according to VUWSA
• Make a real difference to students’ lives and the University community
• Add value to your studies
• Unique chance to learn extra skills
• Have some real responsibility (“We’re not kidding”)