Vice Prez (Administration)

Welcome back to the final half trimester of the year. With exams looming and work on assignments no doubt becoming all-consuming, I hope you had at least some break these holidays.

The end of the year is often very stressful, not only with uni but with financial, social and other obligations vying for your attention. VUWSA is here to help. If you need a hand with financial planning give us a call and we can arrange a meeting. If you want to get back some of the tax the Government took from you, send me and email and I’ll see what I can do. Every dollar helps. The team at VUWSA is here to help—always remember when you run into trouble we will be here, be it in academic disputes, financial help, or personal support.

This Salient theme is Self-Improvement. As tempting as it would be (considering how much money people seem to make writing the books), I do not claim to be an expert in this field. I do, however, have some helpful hints to help just a little bit.

1. Learn how to use the words ‘less’ and ‘fewer’. As Mark Nicholas, cricket commentator, once said “less coal, fewer sacks”. You should use fewer when referring to something that can be measured in discrete units (like sacks of grain or what have you). Use less when referring to non-discrete units (like that amount of coal). Once you learn this rule, you’ll see how often people make the mistake. Also, it is “just deserts”, not “just desserts”. And when you say “I could care less”, please make sure you mean, on the list of things you care about, this is not at the bottom of it. If it is, then you couldn’t care less.

2. Watch TV shows like The Wire, Arrested Development, The Sopranos, Doctor Who and Boston Legal. They may not help your life, but they’re awesome.

3. Read Law’s Order by David Friedman. It is excellent. And while, on the subject of reading, Hitchens is not to be missed.

4. If you’re going to wear a suit, make sure it fits you properly. Nothing looks worse than a poorly-tailored suit.

That is all the advice I have now.
Stay safe
Daniel Wilson
avp@vuwsa.org.nz

1. Thejackel says:

I give this a 6…

… on the Kinsey scale!

2. Your Name says:

So VUWSA just shuts down after semester 2?

3. Ghost of Freemantle says:

Pretty much.

1