VUWSA Experiencing Electile Dysfunction

The annual VUWSA General Election has got off to a slow start, with just five nominations having been received so far.

At time of writing on Thursday 8 September, five students had put themselves forward for one of the 16 positions on the executive, two weeks since nominations opened in mid-August.

With nominations closing on Wednesday, the upcoming election on Monday 26 September could well be a shambles. But, when grilled by Salient, VUWSA President Seamus Brady displayed a laissez-faire attitude, pointing out that most nominations were received on the last day possible last year.

Salient News Editor Stella Blake-Kelly almost managed to convince one student, who she found engaged in a public display of affection on a couch in the Student Union Building, to run. Like former Activities Officer Alan Young before him, the individual expressed interest in the bonuses on offer to members of the executive.

That’s right, there are executive bonuses! That’s correct! Like, executive bonuses! We’ve been told there are executive bonuses. You have until Wednesday to put yourself forward!

How to apply—Check out vuwsa.org.nz for more details!

Elle started out at Salient reviewing music. In 2010, she wrote features and Animal of The Week, which an informal poll revealed to be 40% of Victoria students' favourite part of the magazine. Alongside Uther Dean, she was co-editor for 2011. In 2012, she is chief features writer.