September 25, 2011 | by  | in Features |

You know what they say about New Zealand politics?

1. meowth says:

The apathetic nature towards politics is not isolated to New Zealand. It seems to be the norm these days to just not talk about it and I feel that this is driven by the idea that you don’t discuss politics or religion with your friends, or well, anybody.

Some of your statements such as: “I want highly-publicised hissy fits from both sides of the political spectrum, generalised gnashing of teeth. I’m convinced that a little more spectacle, a little more sound, fury and outright rhetorical viciousness would do wonders for the dismal youth voting enrolment rates we’ve been hearing so much of lately, ” make me feel that you have been watching a little too much of FOX news. I, for one, do love that our politicians are boring. All they ever do is make social gaffes and spend money on hotel porn. When I want drama I watch other countries governments imploding and vaguely worry about the implications for us.

Are you really wishing for a political atmosphere that is like a soap opera? Is that what you really want? Or are you just looking for some people that are a little more informed about how the country they are living in is run? I am comforted by the fact that, in general, when I talk to a middle-aged person in New Zealand they have a fairly firm grasp of what’s going on politically and an opinion on it.

2. Fanni says:

Just do me a favor and keep wrtiing such trenchant analyses, OK?

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.