young-mama-300x219
September 16, 2011 | by  | in Online Only |

Young Mama – Pumpkin and Beet Pie

So I have to share this utterly bizarre recipe which is amazing deliciousness:

Pumpkin, Beetroot, potato and cottage cheese pie

So I had all of the above ingredients, with a hefty helping of pastry from Cafe Mamba, a cafe in the CBD that seem to love me enough to donate rad stuff to the family now and then. I don’t like cottage cheese. I don’t use cottage cheese. It was inexplicably in the fridge, so I figured why not add it to stuff and hope for the best.

• 1 beetroot, cut into 2cm cubes
  • ¼ pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
  • 1tbsp cinnamon
  • 1tbsp salt
  • 1tbsp ginger
  • 2tbsp oil

Toss the above together and roast until fully cooked. Put into a blender with a 250g container of cottage cheese, pepper, and salt to taste. It will taste odd, and rich. Like it would taste good in exceptionally small quantities.

• 5 small potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes
  • About 300g savoury pastry (the stuff I get is flaky and not really designed for pies, but tastes so much better)

Boil the potatoes until just tender, and mix into the pumpkin/beet puree. Roll out the pastry to about 3mm thick, and use it to line a pie dish. Save a bit to chuck on top. Add the potato mix on top of the pastry, then the last bit of pastry on top, and cook at 180 degrees until the pastry on top is browned and the sides of the pie pastry are starting to crisp.

The pie filling will be bright red and eating it will mess with your head a bit, because it looks like a sweet pie. Enjoy :)

1. Retta says:

Thanks alot – your answer solved all my problems after seevral days struggling

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this