October 2, 2011 | by  | in Opinion |

Animal Of The Week – Krzywy Las

I’m just going to come right out and say it. This week, I cheated. This Animal of the Week isn’t so much an animal as it is a forest. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a damn cool forest. I just thought I’d give you a heads up.

In the north-west of Poland, amongst a dense pine forest a small area is known as ‘Krzywy Las’. Although it sounds like an Icelandic volcano, this translates to ‘the crooked forest’. Here about 400 trees remarkably all have a 90 degree bend at the base of their trunks, then slowly curve back up, becoming vertical again. Due to the unique appearance of The Crooked Forest it is classed as one of Poland’s national monuments.

The trees were planted in the 1930’s and grew for seven to ten years before this bending occurred. However, this is all that is known about The Crooked Forest. Several theories exist attempting to explain the cause of this bizarre deformation. The most popular is that the trees were shaped this way by humans for use in boat or furniture building. Personally I prefer some of the other theories, such as the combination of snow and wind, WW2 tanks, angry birds aftermath or animal migration.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this