HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Salient named Best Publication OF ALL TIME

Salient was named Best Publication at the Aotearoa Student Press Association (ASPA) Awards on Saturday 24 September, much to the delight of co-editors Elle Hunt and Uther Dean, and the rest of the Salient team and readership.

Held this year at Victoria University’s Milk and Honey bar, the ASPA Awards are an annual event that recognises and celebrates the work of student magazines around the country, dishing out awards for categories such as Best News, Best Design and Best Humour.

Described as “witty, intensely self-involved in a rather endearingly self-deprecatory way” by Best Publication judge Simon Wilson of Metro magazine, Salient placed first ahead of second-equal winners Critic (Otago University) and Magneto (Massey Wellington).

The other big win of the night for the magazine was first place in the Best Cartoonist category, which was taken out by Dinocop creator Sam Northcott. Judge Al Nisbett described Northcott’s drawings as “fresh and energetic… with slightly manic themes” and even went as far to say that he “found himself smiling at them”. Applause from the Salient table for Northcott’s award was of equal, if not greater volume, as the response to the Best Publication announcement, complete with a standing ovation and hysterical screaming.
“Well, I suppose it is very good, yes,” Northcott said of his award.

Salient also picked up second placings for Best Unpaid News (Unpaid), Best Reviewer, Best Feature and Best Education Series, and third equal for Best Design.
To top off the enormously successful weekend for the magazine, the Salient Facebook page surpassed 2000 ‘likes’ on Sunday evening.

A full list of results can be found online at salient.org.nz/blog/aotearoa-student-press-association-awards-results

1. Peter Manglethwaite says:

I heard there were some other comments from a judge which were also awesome. *cough*

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June