October 10, 2011 | by  | in Opinion |

LoL News

In light of Salient’s recent success at the student media awards, NZUSA Co-President Max Hardy proposed late last week the introduction of a similar awards system to recognise the ongoing work of students’ associations.

Despite the fact that VUWSA’s failings were among the most-cited examples of why Voluntary Student Membership (VSM) should be introduced, Hardy, a former VUWSA President himself, seemed adamant that these awards, including a category for Best President, should go ahead.

“I wish they had awards for best students’ associations.”

Only just managing to hold back from commenting that, if such awards existed, VUWSA would lose every time, staff went on to speculate what the awards categories would be and who would be the winners.

Alongside the category of Best President, Best Pash, Most Expensive Scandal, Most Babein’ Executive Member, Most Timely President’s Columns and Best Attendance at Meetings were named as possible awards categories.

Although Salient staffers predicted that VUWSA would lose in nearly all of these categories, ‘Best Pash’ became hotly contested over the course of the final production night.
Former News Editor Molly McCarthy said that Max Hardy was “by far the best pasher on any exec. Ever.”

Current News Editor Stella Blake-Kelly disagreed and said that Otago University Students’ Association President Logan Edgar was the better kisser.

Co-Editor Elle Hunt, on the other hand, claimed that current VUWSA President Seamus Brady would undoubtedly be the Best Pash, despite having failed to lock lips with Brady at the student media awards ceremony.

“I just want him to come up [to the office] so I can pash him!” said an anxious Hunt, in anticipation of the president’s arrival to the Salient office.

The night ended with Hunt attempting to throw herself at Brady on the office couch, and, following her second rejection by Brady, threw her arms up in the air, screeching “I was rejected by Seamus Brady!”

1. Intimacy and the Environment
  2. Surprise Surprise, Another US School Massacre
  3. Dear Daddy Dave
  4. The Weekly Planet
  5. Throwback T-Swizzle: Speak Now
  6. Books to Films
  7. Books to Films
  8. Still Life with Chickens
  9. Silicon Valley Season 5
  10. The Adam Portraiture Award is Anachronistic and Goofy and I Love It