October 2, 2011 | by  | in Opinion |

Lovin’ From The Oven – Hoppy Birthday

The man in my life had a birthday recently and I wanted to make something a little special.

Both he and I (along with our flatmates) are crazy for beer. Our flat is its own boutique brewery, with fermenters bubbling away under our dining room table year-round and swappa crates filled with peanut butter porters and black IPAs. So understandably, I figured mixing baking with beer would be well appreciated. I certainly was not wrong.
Dark and roasty beers, like porters and stouts are well known to accompany chocolate fabulously. So it seemed like an easy match. After a little ‘research’ I found a recipe which I tweaked a little to create something to fit my purpose, a chocolate porter birthday cake. It’s crispy on the outside and dense and moist when you cut into it and that hint of porter will make your heart sing and your mouth water.

• 230g butter
• 1 cup of porter/stout
• 2/3 cup  of good quality cocoa power
• 20g 70% coco chocolate
• 2 cups  all-purpose flour
• 2 cups  sugar
• 1-1/4  teaspoons  baking soda
• 1/2  teaspoon  salt
• 1/2 cup sour cream or plain unsweetened yoghurt
• 2 eggs

Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Line the base of a medium-large sized, round cake tin with baking paper and then grease the sides with butter. Melt the butter, beer and chocolate in a pot on the stove, bring it to a light simmer and then stir in the cocoa powder until completely dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool. Meanwhile, sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs and sour cream/yoghurt until creamy and pale. Add the beer mixture to the dry ingredients and then mix to combine. Finally add the egg mixture and beat to combine. Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. I covered my cake with tin foil after about 30 minutes; this will stop the top from burning and keep in a bit of the moisture. When cool, frost with a chocolate butter cream frosting (add some more porter to it if you really love your beer) and serve with cream.

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future