October 10, 2011 | by  | in Opinion |

Ngāi Tauira – We have come to it at last…

Are you prepared for what is about to happen next? Is the world prepared? There are those that have been waiting a long time, for others, this is just the start of something new; but needless to say, for everyone, this is the end of one book and the beginning of another.

As many leave to go into the world, many will remain, and many more will join in on the coming journey. As reflections of the year pass, like the Wellington wind, we are reminded of the ups and downs, the challenges we faced together or alone, the people we have met through our time at university and the success we have sought. From first years to post-grads, one door is closing but others are opening. Through their time at university, many have found their place, their friends, relationships and their true ambition in life. Because of this we can stand anew, and proclaim:

It’s a new world—it’s a new start 
It’s alive with the beating of young hearts 
It’s a new day—it’s a new plan 
I’ve been waiting for you 
Here I am
-Bryan Adams, 2002

Bryan Adams’ lyrics seem appropriate, as for many of us it is indeed a new world and a new start. The job that awaits us around the corner, the flat we are moving into next year, and the trip overseas which is long overdue. It is a new start for all students, young and old. As Salient sees the sun set on 2011, there will come a time for the dawn of new beginnings. The world is just in waiting. Sure it says ‘the beating of young hearts’ but that doesn’t exclude the old. Growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional. So as we reminisce over past events, we must not forget that the path lies ahead of us, not behind us. For all students, ones that are hopping off at this station and ones that are continuing the journey:

Whaia te iti kahuranga ki te tuahu koe me he maunga teitei.

Aim for the highest cloud so that if you miss it, you will hit a lofty mountain.

This next step in life can be like a circus: some acts will be terrible, and some will be sensational. It doesn’t matter what act life will hand to you, continue to aim high and achieve greatness in any endeavour you chose. From Ngāi Tauira to all tauira across Victoria University; your journey is not at an end, it’s simply the beginning of something new.

1