October 10, 2011 | by  |

No Debate Over Ultimate Blues Awards

Ultimate frisbee and debating were the winners on the night at the Blues Awards this week, proving that even the less virile sports can sock it to the big boys when it counts.

The awards allow University Sport New Zealand and Victoria University to recognise students who excel at the highest level in their chosen sport, while also balancing study and personal commitments.

17 students have been honoured with awards for their efforts in fencing, ultimate frisbee, debating, rowing, surf life-saving and hockey. A further four individuals have been recognised for their efforts in sports administration.

“It’s great to be able to recognise the achievement of many of our top sportspeople like this. 2011 was another strong sporting year for Vic students. From Team Vic’s success at Uni Games and the World University Games to DebSoc continued national and international dominance, we have much to be proud of. Congratulations to all the winners,” says VUWSA President Seamus Brady.

The winners of the overall awards, Sports Administrator of the Year and Sportsperson of the Year, will be announced at the ceremony in the Hunter Chambers on Tuesday night.
“The suspense!” exclaimed Brady.

After the ceremony, it is rumoured that “nibbles” and drinks will be provided, though VUWSA Vice-President (Administration) Daniel Wilson told Salient that this year’s event is “massively scaled back on previous years.”

In the past, the awards have incorporated illustrious guest speakers, three-course meals and even a band, but Wilson, who, together with VUWSA Association Manager Mark Maguire and Clubs & Events Manager Melissa Barnard, helped to organise the awards, said that “there was just no money” for those kinds of bells and whistles this year.

At a meeting of the VUWSA executive last month, Wilson himself requested that VUWSA put a further $5000 towards the Blues Awards, but his application was rejected when he let slip that that amount would cover the cost of hiring Sevens coach Gordon Tietjens to speak at the event.

Sports Administration Awards

Richard Carr—Ultimate Frisbee
Udayan Mukherjee—Debating
Sebastian Templeton—Debating
Daniel Wilson—Debating

Sporting Blues Winners

William Bishop—Fencing
Richard Carr—Ultimate Frisbee
Richard D’Ath—Debating
Asher Emanuel—Debating
Angus Hines—Ultimate Frisbee
James Hunter—Rowing
Jonathan Jackson—Ultimate Frisbee
Holly Jenkins—Debating
Samantha Lee—Surf Life Saving
Udayan Mukherjee—Debating
Tamarah Neal—Ultimate Frisbee
Matthew Richardson—Ultimate Frisbee
Lauchlan Robertson—Ultimate Frisbee
Paul Smith—Debating
Sebastian Templeton—Debating
Alexandra Tully—Hockey
Luke Watts—Rowing

Elle started out at Salient reviewing music. In 2010, she wrote features and Animal of The Week, which an informal poll revealed to be 40% of Victoria students' favourite part of the magazine. Alongside Uther Dean, she was co-editor for 2011. In 2012, she is chief features writer.

1. Craig Farlie says:

Debating is not a sport and ultimate frisbee is very, very minority. Are these really the University’s finest athletes? It’s comical enough that all of this group receives blues awards but it would be a total joke if the sportsman of the year goes to a frisbee chucker or someone who is taking part in a non-physical structured argument. Hopefully common sense prevails and we see a rower taking the award – those guys train hard. Perhaps more emphasis should be placed on receiving nominations for these awards?

2. thejackel says:

Craig – Debating is very competitive. For the last two years Victoria has won the Australasian Championships, at which over 100 teams compete. Vic has also won every major New Zealand competition for the last 6 years. In fact last years sportsman of the year was Stephen Whittington, who won Australs and was the 2nd best speaker at the tournament out of more than 300. Sayeqa Islam also won best sportsperson in 2007 for being best speaker and runner up at that tournament.

Why the hell shouldn’t the university recognise those achievements?

3. Craig Farlie says:

They should recognise their achievements and I have no doubt that they have done very, very well – but the sports awards is not the place.

4. Loran says:

I’m impressed! You’ve managed the alsmot impossible.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. The Übermensch 39 views
  2. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 36 views
  3. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 27 views
  4. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 19 views
  5. The Bresolin Brothers 16 views
  6. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 16 views
  7. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 15 views
  8. Shovel Knight 14 views
  9. Salient seeks new contributors 14 views
  10. A gentleman always lets his lady cum first 13 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more