One University, no CUP

Government funding cuts mean students will no longer be able to take university preparation courses at Victoria University.

The government has decided that it will no longer fund university preparation courses at universities but will continue to fund such courses at polytechnics and other training organisations. This means that Victoria University’s Certificate in University Preparation (CUP) will now be without funding.

Due to these cuts, Victoria management are proposing to cut the CUP altogether.

This means that students wishing to undertake university preparation courses in Wellington will have to attend Weltec, Whitirea, or a private training institute.

VUWSA is opposed to the closure and believes that students will be disadvantaged if they cannot complete these courses at university. They believe that an important part of these university preparation courses is being able to orient students at university and the services it offers, such as the library and support services.

Current CUP students are also opposed to the proposal.

“I took CUP in the first trimester of last year and it was the best decision I ever made. The skills they teach you in that course are so valuable to university as a whole,” said one student.

“Bridging courses into university mean that a diverse range of people can access university education. Moving these courses to polytechs removes this “bridging” function. Instead it creates another barrier to accessing uni if you are not being immersed in the campus lifestyle,” said another.

Despite facing the same funding problems, other universities have decided not to cut their preparation courses. The University of Auckland has chosen to fund their programme through its equity fund. The preparation programme at Waikato University is being run by Weltec but will be taught on the Waikato campus to allow new students to orient themselves with the campus.

VUWSA believes that Victoria should look into similar alternatives to avoid ending the programme.

The proposal to close the CUP is currently open for consultation before the final decision is made.

1. Your Name says:

good – if you’re so retarded you can’t get University Entrance then you shouldn’t be at university taking up place, standing in corridors chatting about your weekend, dressing up like thirteen year old girls who are trying to be counter-cultured and acting like you belong there

2. Lucid says:

^What about mature students? I know a lot of students who’ve made bad choices when they were at high school, dropping out, getting pregnant, etc. Are you seriously suggesting these people shouldn’t be given a chance, now they are older and wiser, to pursue a higher education? What about international students who take CUP to get acquainted with university life in a new country? I think you have a very narrow view of what these courses do and how valuable they are, and should open up your eyes a bit.

3. Alpha says:

Mature students don’t take CUP because once you hit 20, you don’t need UE to get in to uni.

You know what’s good preparation for uni? Fucking school. If you can’t get UE, university is not for you. Find something else. Not everyone can or should go to uni.

4. Your Name says:

Yeah but don’t assume that once you’re 20 you can get into university straight away, each year it gets harder to obtain a place into uni. There are certain requirements and expectations of each pupil that wish to apply, they are carefully acessesd and there are a number of stages that they need to go through. I agree with the previous comment stating that, students that didn’t do so well in high school might have made the wrong discissions or didn’t do well for any particular reason, however it doesn’t mean that they aren’t capable of suceeding at university. Don’t they deserve a second chance!? A chance to improve their education, a chance to pursue their career goal, a chance to prove to themselves and to others that they are capable of succeeding at university, a chance for a better education and a wider range of career opportunities. Yes, university isn’t for everyone, however those who make the effort to get far enough by completeing these courses or sitting entrance exams, and have the determination and passion to succeed, well I believe they do indeed deserve a chance and moreover cup courses enabe to give these individual’s that chance.

5. Your Name says:

based on your grammar and apostrophe use I’m assuming you’re a CUP student… of course you are defending it.

6. Your Name says:

Well your assumption is wrong. I am not a CUP student, however I do know of a few past CUP students and how hard they have worked to get as far as they did, some of whom are in my 100 level courses at present. And how is that relevant? Sorry but your point is a little weak don’t you think.

7. Your Name says:

don’t mind me just trollin’ trollin’ trollin’

8. kalista says:

nice conversation … i think its awful they cut this funding … i have done my degree/postgrad – the lot – later on in life, and yes, i did not use CUP etc but knew others that did and they became very successful after doing this via uni … it makes all the difference in life to have these ‘b’ degrees – i earn a ‘pack’ now, love my job and so do my study buddies who did the prep courses at uni. they need to be supplied at uni and not at tech coz there is a difference between tech and uni … stand up for this and try to keep it!

9. Budd says:

You’ve got to be kdidnig me-it’s so transparently clear now!

1