Solar Bach Team See Sunny Side Of Third Place

Despite placing third, a member of the Victoria Solar Decathlon team says “we feel like a winning team.”

The team was the first from New Zealand and from the Southern Hemisphere to compete in the international Solar Decathlon in Washington DC, coming in at third place overall with its modern take on a kiwi bach.

The contest required 20 university teams from around the world to design, build and operate a solar-powered house. Teams then faced off in ten contests which judged each house’s performance, livability and affordability.

Victoria’s Meridian First Light house placed highly in a number of categories, winning first prize in Engineering, first equal in Hot Water and Energy Balance, second in Architecture and third in Market Appeal.

Team member Nick Officer says of the competition, “While we may not have won overall we are incredibly proud to have represented New Zealand on the world stage. We had such an amazing response from the US public here along with supporters back home.”

Both former Prime Minister Helen Clark and Deputy Prime Minister Bill English visited the house while on display in Washington D.C., and are said to have enjoyed the kiwi touches, such as the jar of Marmite in the kitchen cupboard.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos