October 2, 2011 | by  | in Arts Books |

The Rogue: Searching for the Real Sarah Palin by Joe McGinniss

A mere five days after Confidence Men sees the NZ release of a political book of an entirely different nature. The Rogue: Searching for the Real Sarah Palin is marketed as an investigative chronicle but has been characterised by advance reviews as “a gossipy tale”, “the embodiment of the hatchet job”, and “a sketchily sourced compendium of low blows and inconsistent accusations.”

McGinniss has a long history in this kind of personal journalism, having previously authored The Selling of the President 1968, a hugely successful account of Richard Nixon’s marketing campaign during the 1968 presidential campaign. However where that was acclaimed as a classic of political journalism, The Rogue has so far unified critics in their dismissal of the book as a populist biography full of unsubstantiated rumours and conspiracy theories.

The Rogue includes a variety of salacious allegations, involving sex, drugs, and even bad parenting! While Sarah Palin the Presidential candidate might be worried about such an expose, that scenario is looking less and less likely. Meanwhile the old adage that there’s no such thing as bad press speaks volumes, and Sarah Palin the media star goes from strength to strength.

The Rogue doesn’t look set to go down as a great in the pantheon of political writing, but it might make an easy and fun read for those particularly interested in the all-encompassing cultural behemoth that is Sarah Palin.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos