uStay’s Name Becomes More and More Ironic

There may not be leaking sewage pipes as there were back in 2008, but the RAs at the uStay halls of residence still reckon they’re getting a pretty raw deal.

Salient has heard that a number of Residential Advisers (RAs) from the residential complex—which includes Cumberland, McKenzies and Education House—are dissatisfied with the pay they receive and the conditions under which they are expected to work.

As part of the job, RAs are required to live on-site. But one RA has stated that they pay more back to the hostel in rent than they actually earn, meaning they are forced to rely on loans, allowances and other employment to cover the shortfall.

The RAs are also often required to work extra hours, especially when planning large events and dealing with significant problems, but are not paid for this extra work. They believe this is unfair, particularly as RAs from other university Halls of Residence receive a wide variety of benefits and compensation.

Earlier in the year, one RA left their role due to the conditions in which they were expected to work. The RA’s bedroom had a number of leaks which uStay management failed to resolve and on one occasion the RA was pressured to miss a class at university in order to attend a fire drill.

The RAs say they have approached management about their concerns but have been largely ignored. They also hope to raise awareness and secure fairer contracts for the RAs of 2012.

Formerly known as Unicomm, uStay has been plagued with problems in recent years. In 2008, many Cumberland residents spent the year in leaky rooms and on one occasion a sewage pipe burst, causing numerous issues. In response to these conditions, a number of students made national news as they protested at Study@Vic Day and prevented tours of the complex.

1. L says:

worked there last year, definitely felt the same way when you consider the benefits RAs get at other hostels that are university owned or operated…

2. Kalie says:

With the bases loedad you struck us out with that answer!

3. Sequoia says:

If you’re readnig this, you’re all set, pardner!

4. Vikie says:

Are you serious? Are all the Halls like this? I’ve been offered a place at McKenziesand I want to do law, but now I don’t think I want to go anymore… Seriously? O.o

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan