We are [locked in] the University [library]

Students across the country rallied under the We are the University banner last week to protest a range of policy changes in tertiary education.

The group listed the erosion of democracy on campuses, the hiking of student fees, and the ACT Party’s VSM Bill which passed its final reading in Parliament last Wednesday as its main concerns.

“These measures threaten the university as a space for free engagement with people and ideas,” said Guy Cohen, the group’s spokesperson from Auckland.

Over 300 students occupied Auckland University’s business school on Monday in a rally which saw doors blockaded, a heavy Police presence and several arrests.
AUSA President Joe McCrory, who addressed the protest, said it showed “a student-led movement against Government attacks on students”.

Cohen labelled the occupation a success as it showed student unity and action still exists of university campuses.

A smaller-scale protest took place in Victoria University’s Hunter Building, with about 30 students staging a sit in outside Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh’s office.

1. Gildas says:

Wham bam thank you, ma’am, my questions are awnesred!