October 2, 2011 | by  | in Opinion |

Welfare Officer

Politics is some-thing you might like to get caught up in.

We all have some form of political belief. Our political beliefs are often influenced by the way we were brought up. They are inherently ideological, no matter where you sit on the political continuum, and if you have a strong sense of conviction, you are likely to be outspoken about them.

I am political. I like politics. There is something liberating about the charged nature of walking the halls of Parliament, about having a debate with someone and proving a point they may never had thought of before—or, on the flipside, being proven wrong .

When I work at VUWSA, I try to leave my politics at the door. Of course, my beliefs have an impact on how I choose to live out my life and what I bring to the table, but I believe that VUWSA is an apolitical organisation. What is most important to me when serving students is that I act, think, and speak as though I am a student. Of course I am a student, but the challenge is to remember that I am but one student in a sea of thousands. We are working toward the same goal, but each individual has different needs and wants as to how to achieve that goal.

The challenge that remains is that VUWSA finds ways to engage with students and discuss the issues at hand to make university life that much more bearable. Politics aside, I hope that I have in some way given enough time into engaging with students to understand what makes you tick. After all, this is your university and your learning environment is important to me and to VUWSA. We should protect what is most valuable by engaging in the issues and starting a dialogue to make this a better place for you and for me.

All the best for your upcoming exams and, for those who are going on “holiday” over summer, slip, slop, and slap. Stay safe and leave your beer goggles at home! Over and out!