February 27, 2012 | by  | in Features |

Campus Survival Guide: Pipitea Paranoia

Oh, what’s that? You need to study down at Pipitea? Don’t worry it’s better down here, you’ll like it.

Besides the obvious advantages of fewer hipsters, and not being located at the top of a hill, the Pipitea campus has a lot on offer. Well-kept grass perfect for summer loungin’ abounds (beware: there are wasps) and Illot doesn’t maintain a monopoly over the provision of pre- packaged food.

There are many purveyors of delicious foods nearby. For breakfast try the Occi, (one block down Lambton Quay) who have eggs, toast and a huge variety of things to add, starting at $3 as well as some particularly good blueberry pancakes. Leuven on Featherston has a weekday breakfast (waffles, maple syrup, and fruit or potato, herb bread, bacon and poached eggs) for $7.50. There’s now a café in Law school, but the coffee is terrible so instead head to the usual Pipitea student haunts: Sweet Fanny’s (good, and sometimes free), Gale’s (average, but quick), or Mojo (slow, expensive without card, but delicious).

Any other time, Ferrymans/The Waterloo serves up bar-fare (read: deep fried shit) and will give you a discount if you say you’re a law student (commerce students, just lie). The infamous Sushi B on Woodward has easily the best sushi in Wellington and the pieces are gloriously large (pro-tip: the end pieces are 2+ times the size, but cost the same), the only downside is the queue (pro-tip 2: it’s half price after 4pm). Rahzoo has a delicious array of salads, and the Thai chicken filo is phenomenal. Also, don’t forget New World in the railway station – the cinnamon twist is worth a try.

As far as finding your feet in your first few weeks, get involved in the orientation events. Law school has barbecues, a tennis night (you don’t actually need to play tennis, it’s really just an excuse to wear all white, and sit in the freezing cold in Thorndon drinking), and a cocktail evening (an excuse to wear a suit and drink). VicComm usually drags its members off to Sandwiches for a night filled with drum and bass. Fun.