February 27, 2012 | by  | in News |

Eye on Exec

Watching the Watchmen.

The executive is a group of students elected at the end of each year to form the governance body of VUWSA in the following year. Their primary function is to set policy, control funding, and act as representatives of their student constituents. Sometimes they also do barbecues. Salient endeavours to attend meetings of the executive to ensure that students remain informed as to the decisions of their representatives.

Salient was not invited to, nor informed of, the first full executive meeting of the year, but the minutes suggest that the most important changes were the adoption of the new subcommittees, and a decision to make the organisation financially sustainable through an increase in the price of locker and carpark hire.

While excluded from the full executive meeting, Salient was invited to the first two meetings of the executive reporting committee, a group constituted by the President, Vice-President (Academic) and the Treasurer, and charged with the responsibility of scrutinising the executive’s work reports. Having a smaller group assess the quality of the work reports submitted clearly reduces the incentives to overlook glaring inadequacies. The committee members readily noted the deficits of their colleagues, and went so far as to express doubt as to the veracity of some claims made in work reports.

As it stands, most of the executive have fulfilled their obligations to the organisation. Notable exceptions were Vice-President (Welfare) Ta’ase Vaoga with a 28 hour deficit and Reed Flemming (Clubs Officer) with an 18 hour deficit. By contrast, President Bridie Hood has consistently worked more hours than she is paid for, as has Activities Officer Andreas Triandafilidis with eight hours in surplus.

Education Officer Sam Vincent, Campaigns Officer Adele Redmond, Environment Officer Sophie Turner and International Officer Debbie Zhang all neglected to submit work reports. Vincent showed up during the meeting and delivered an oral report, much to the satisfaction of the committee. Rory McCourt has yet to submit a work report, and failed to submit apologies before missing the first executive meeting of the year. Salient has been informed that he is currently in Japan. While unable to submit work reports, President Hood noted that McCourt was available for chatter on Facebook.

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy