February 27, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

Presidential Address: The State of the Union

Hello there! Whether you’re entering your first year of study or returning for another, I welcome you to Victoria University. My name is Bridie Hood and I am the President of VUWSA–your Students’ Association. 

VUWSA is here to make sure you have the best possible time you can at Victoria University. We work hard to ensure that students’ interests are represented at this University and that you love your time at Vic.

VUWSA has a long and proud history at Victoria University. We were set up by students, for students within weeks of the University first opening for lectures. Over our 113 year history we have been standing up for students to ensure that all VUW students receive a high quality education and well-rounded student experience. From successfully petitioning the University Council on the need for a student library in 1899, to successfully lobbying for a Hall of Residence in the early 20th century, taking a lead role in the Vietnam War and Springbok Tour protests, the 2008 saving of the Film School and the funding of campus upgrades such as the Boyd Wilson Field and the Campus Hub, VUWSA has been working hard to provide students with a great University experience.

We were established because it is only through effective student representation that students can ensure that the University is delivering the education, experience, community and facilities that students want and need during their study. This is a principle that has not changed. We are here to make sure you love your time at Vic.

I feel incredibly proud and honoured to be your student President this year and continue the tradition of students serving students.

With that in mind, VUWSA has been working hard all summer long to ensure we can provide another year packed with great services, events, activities and strong student representation. 2012 is going to be a big year for VUWSA and we want to make sure that we are really involving students in everything we do.

As I stated in my election campaign I am committed on having a Governance review this year. VUWSA underwent an operational review several years ago and it’s time we had a look at the effectiveness of our current governance structure. This process will begin in several weeks and will involve strong student consultation. VUWSA is a bottom up organisation–VUWSA members have the ultimate say in how we operate.

We are looking at re-branding our Student Representative Council meetings (SRCs) and making them more relevant to students today. We want to focus on how you think we can make VUWSA, Victoria University and Wellington better places to study, work and live.

Another big focus for 2012 is to improve our communications with students. We want to find out how things are going for you at Victoria and how we can help. We also want you to know what we have been working on–which may involve a few cheesy Youtube videos!

There is a lot we want to do this year–but at the moment it’s all about Orientation and making sure you have a great start to your year at Vic. If you are a first year student, this week is probably going to be a bit overwhelming–University can be quite a culture shock. And to throw you head first into the University experience we have an awesome Orientation lined up, featuring great international and local acts–so make sure you get amongst it!

Have an awesome week and I look forward to meeting and working with many of you over the coming year. I’ll be here, there and everywhere over O Week, so come up and say hi! You’ll catch me at the VUWSA tent at Clubs Week or at our many Orientation events, or you can always give me an email.

See you round.

1