Ancient Publication Revived

Salient  Unconcerned

Carrying on from their activities last year the ‘We Are The University’ protest group has over the last week begun an attempt to reinstate their presence on campus.

Last Wednesday they released their own publication, as a mouthpiece for their organization, titled Student. One Salienteer received a copy from the Aotearoa Worker’s Party stand at the clubs week prompting questions about what affiliations the group has.

This uncertainty of origin is compounded by the fact that the pamphlet issued is named issue 4, in reference to a publication of the same name which existed briefly in 1933 at Victoria University.

The original magazine was published by a group called the Free Discussions Club, an openly militant and communist group that called for open discussion at the University, free of censorship or control from the University.

Members of WATU who spoke to Salient denied that they saw themselves as a continuation of the club, but did cite them as an inspiring movement. WATU plans to release a copy of Student every fortnight and hopes that it will provide a platform for ongoing debate and dissemination of information.

On the same day as the release of the pamphlet, WATU held a meeting in the student union building which had drawn about 12 people at its starting time. They plan to continue action throughout the year protesting against the corporatization of education and promoting the freedom of education at Victoria.

The group appeared during the second trimester of 2011 and for information regarding them and their history you can check them out on page 20.

1