Bombs in Kelburn

Do not eventuate, Salient blows up story anyway.

Tuesday morning saw bomb threats instead of psychology tutorials as the Easterfield Building at Kelburn campus was evacuated after the University received an anonymous bomb threat.

According to the Senior Sergeant on duty for Wellington, the bomb threat was in the form of an email, and was sent to a “generic university email [account].”

“The kind you’d find by looking at the [Vic] homepage.”

University staff evacuated the building and contacted the Police after receiving the threat shortly before 9am.

Dogs were used to search the building, and it was cleared about two hours later after nothing suspicious was found.

Acting Inspector Bruce Mackay of police central station believed the threat had been a hoax.

“I’m not quite sure why you’d threaten the University, but it would be interesting to find out and hopefully we will,” he said.

“I really can’t understand the rationale of some people, but I’m sure they’ll look into that.”

Neither Police nor the University would elaborate on the nature of the email or

why Easterfield was targetted but said investigations were ongoing.

The evacuation saw several lectures and tutorials relocated, but a devastating miscommunication saw some students miss out on class.

One student took to Facebook to vent their disappointment.

“The security dude told me all classes were cancelled so I just went home, logged onto blackboard and there was a room change!! :’( Now I’ve learnt nothing today!” they lamented.

The Senior Sergeant told Salient he thought the University’s evacuation and performance of campus security was “all done well”, noting that the evacuation was completed before police arrived on the scene.

Speculation regarding the motivation for the threat was rife throughout the week amongst the student body. Following the incident, a variation of the internet meme Lazy College Senior was posted to the Overheard at Vic Facebook page, garnering nearly 900 likes. The image suggested one popular theory: that the threat was made in order to avoid a trivial assignment hand-in.

Later in the week, a VUWSA executive member jested that the self-described “militant” action group We Are The University may have been behind the threat. Salient remains doubtful.