MMP Under Scrutiny

Imperfect system to be made perfect.

The electoral system almost all of us know and love, according to the referendum held in November’s General Election, is under review from the Electoral Commission.

Dr Sandra Grey, spokesperson for the Keep MMP campaign, said that the review’s main purpose is to “iron out the wrinkles” that exist under MMP, though she is frank about her expectations for the end result.

“You can never have the perfect system,” she said.

The definitive list of what is being reviewed is available online, but Dr Grey said that the most important things to consider are thresholds for election, proportionality to minimise wasted votes and ‘dual candidacy,’ where candidates lose an electorate but get into parliament through the lists.

“It’s important to have a system we can engage with,” Dr Grey said.

She also said that it is important to make submissions now because this is likely to be the last review of the electoral

system for some time, something that is particularly important for students.

“You will be living with the system longer than the rest of us,” she said.

VUWSA will be working with the Electoral Commission to give students an opportunity to engage with the review.

“The Electoral Commission is very keen to hear from students regarding the current (and confirmed) MMP electoral process,” VUWSA President Bridie Hood said.

Students wishing to get involved can join a yet-to-be-established focus group, which will have discussions with an expert from the commission.

Submissions can be made in a variety of ways, and must be submitted before May 31.

The outcomes and proposed changes from the review will be released in August, with the public given another opportunity to get involved.

For more details of the review and the submission process see: mmpreview.co.nz.

1. There’s a New Editor
1