New Zealand Not Good Enough Anymore

Kiwi Kids Run Away From Home

Not satisfied with local opportunities, students are heading overseas in greater numbers according to a new study.

The study, carried out by research company Colmar Brunton, interviewed more than 1,000 New Zealand students and found that students’ primary concern was what to do immediately after graduation.

47 per cent of students said they felt most stressed about post-graduate job prospects. For perspective, 12 per cent worried most about paying rent on time, and just 5 per cent worried about where their next meal would come from.

The fears stem largely from a poor economic climate, with fewer jobs available and most going to candidates with prior work experience.

Faced with this, 17 per cent of students said they were worried about not getting a job altogether, with a further 9 per cent worried about being landed with an unfavourable job.

The study also showed that females worried more about finding a job than their male counterparts.

Perhaps most alarming was the company’s findings that the desire to leave New Zealand is becoming prevalent at a younger age, with 27 per cent of Year 9 students expressing a desire to permanently head overseas when the opportunity arose.

Spencer Willis—director of the study—said that retaining New Zealand’s talented and skilled workers was essential for future growth.

One solution he proposed was for businesses to give out part-time jobs to undergraduate students to raise confidence levels and partially allay the problem.

1. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  2. Beneath Skin and Bone
  3. No Common Ground
  4. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  5. Good Girls
  6. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  7. Winter Warmers: About Time
  8. Sex at Dawn
  9. BANG!
  10. PSC: One Ocean