News on the March

☛ After 244 years of imperialist dialectic, Encyclopædia Britannica ends its print operations. Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales opens “special occasion” champagne and urinates on a stack of old encyclopædias.

☛ Kony 2012 video causes backlash following premiere in Northern Uganda after many of Kony’s victims perceive the 30 minute film to be a reductive analysis of the complex geo-political situation in Central Africa. Bracelet sales are yet to slow.

☛ Propelled by two states’ entire bigoted might, super-super- conservative Rick Santorum wins the Alabama and Mississippi primaries in the race for the Republican Party Presidential nomination, threatening only-mildly-conservative candidate Mitt Romney’s position as favourite. Just-one-super super-conservative candidate Newt Gingrich’s name is still Newt.

☛ Fiji’s military commander Frank Bainimarama disbands 130-year- old governing institution, the Great Council of Chiefs, without consultation with the Fijian people in pursuit of a “common and equal citizenry.” After six years as a dictator.

☛ Chinese leadership hopeful, Bo Xilai, is fired as Chongqing Communist Party leader after a controversy centreing around fears his ex- police chief had fled to defect to the capitalist American consulate. Salient was assured by officials that capitalism hasn’t won yet.

☛ A Nelson women lays a complaint with supermarket franchise Countdown after discovering a packet of vegetarian lasagne on the shelf a month past its use-by date. A week later, she is reportedly still pretty upset about the whole damn ordeal.