Partisan Hacks

Salient asked: “Does the tertiary education system require reform?” The Hacks respond…

Vic Labour – Reed fleming

Universities are the incubators for our future leaders, yet the current Government are starving them of funding and burdening graduates with massive debt.

Labour are committed to quality, affordable tertiary education. We introduced student allowances, interest-free student loans and the fees maxima scheme, and will continue to drive reform.

We need to turn these debt factories into modern institutions of innovation, research, creative thinking and careers to create a richer, greener and smarter New Zealand.

Vic Nats – Rajnesh Singh

Reform surrounding university programs or courses should not originate from the government but rather from the university itself.

However, it is my opinion that the government needs to look at increasing literacy and numeracy requirements needed to obtain university entrance, while also ensuring that access to interest-free student loans is maintained.

Whilst reform on every sector of tertiary education would be ideal we need to remind ourselves that funding is not infinite.

Greens@vic – Harriet Farquar

Significant reform of the tertiary education system is necessary to remove barriers to study and ensure it is accessible to all New Zealanders. We need to focus on lowering fees, writing off student debt and extending eligibility of student allowances. Funding for both institutions and research and development also must be reviewed to ensure it is sufficient. Tertiary education must be seen not as a burden, but as an investment.

NZ First – Amy Hodgkinson

Yes. NZ First would introduce a universal living allowance for all full-time students in tertiary education. We estimate this would benefit almost 47,000 students and lead to a substantial reduction in borrowing. NZ First will invest more in the Industry Training Fund and substantially increase the number of apprentices per year. We do not believe it is possible to have a viable university or student culture without an independent student voice. NZ First would ensure that tertiary institutions fund proper student representation. NZ First will introduce a dollar for dollar student debt write-off scheme for graduates who remain and work in New Zealand.

ACT On Campus

Act On Campus did not respond to Salient‘s request for comment. Shame, that.