Partisan Hacks – Evil

Salient asked: “What is the greatest social evil New Zealand is currently facing?” The Hacks respond…

Vic Labour – reed Flemming

Young people are faced with being relegated to the growing unemployment scrapheap; a heap being ignored by
the Government, despite a massive 24.2 per cent of 15-19 year olds being unemployed or not in school/training.

A Labour government will ensure that all under-18s are in training or a job by converting unemployment benefits to apprenticeships, retaining Interest Free Student Loans and increasing tertiary funding.

National’s plan consists of cutting tertiary funding and slashing youth wages. The only way to a richer, smarter, greener New Zealand is by getting our young people earning or learning.

Vic Nats – Rajnesh Singh

The greatest social evil that New Zealand currently faces is the way in which our society perceives controversial topics as taboo thus rendering debate surrounding the matter moot.

We, as a society come face to face with evils such as child abuse. We choose to sweep it under the carpet rather than have a debate that comes to the root of the problem. Many times, the only voices we do hear are from the two extremes that end up doing more harm than good!

Act On Campus – Michael Warren

New Zealand currently suffers from an education system that sees one in five school-leavers not having the necessary skills to get a job.

A smart effective education scheme is the answer to get our poorest citizens into work, into jobs, and into higher wages.

ACT is currently in the process of setting up a charter schools trial, which aims to give parents more choice and students a better chance of academic achievement.

Greens@Vic – Harriet Farquar

New Zealand faces a raft of social challenges, and to pick just one is impossible. Our alarming rate of child poverty however, is of particular concern to the Greens. One quarter of New Zealand children are growing up in poverty. That’s 270,000 kids, and our country’s future. The current government is not taking adequate steps to ensure we give all children in Aotearoa a great start to life—a right that everyone deserves.

NZ First – Amy Hodgkinson

Unemployment. People who want a job, but can’t get a job. There are 66,500 15-24 year olds in New Zealand
who are not in any form of education, employment or training. Employers aren’t willing to employ people if they haven’t got experience, the right qualifications or know the right people. It’s no longer

a matter of ‘go to university and you’re guaranteed a good job’. There is a severe lack of vision, new job opportunities and investment in training by the government. Its economic policies destroy jobs—not create them.

1