Queer Avengers Take On Media

Salient aspires to be Side-Kick

It wasn’t Glitz Glam and Trans at Anvil House last Thursday; instead there was a tough message for New Zealand media.

The Queer Avengers press conference saw members of the transgender community express their outrage at what they consider to be a notoriously transphobic New Zealand media.

Transphobia, which is defined as hostility towards people who are transgender or who otherwise transgress traditional gender norms, is a topic which has recently sparked a string of debates following recent advertising campaigns and articles within the media.

Most notably were a Dominion Post column written by Rosemary McLeod, and a Libra Tampon advertisement.

One press conference attendee said what McLeod had written was a direct 10 attack and disregard for the group that is more than just stilettos, make-up, and wigs.

“The archaic quip ‘he/she’ is not something we like to be called. I am sitting here in front of you, wearing a skirt. Why can’t you just call me a woman?” they said.

The Libra tampon advertisement, which was later pulled following widespread criticism, showed the contrast between ‘real women’ and their counterparts.

“That ad is just trying to define what it means to be a woman. Just because we can’t menstruate, doesn’t make us any less female.”

The panel’s message outlined that if the media changed its portrayal of the transgender community, the perception of this group in society would be changed.

“Transphobia is affecting the lives of many. Suicide among transgender teenagers is five times higher than other groups. Something has to change,” a panelist said.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this