Recipe: Birthday Cake

The birthday party, the most special occasion to bake for. I have baked a few birthday cakes in my time, but cupcakes remain the closest to my heart. They are so delightful, easy to share and super fun to decorate. A special friend of mine had her 21st birthday bash recently and I was blessed with the absolute pleasure of baking enough sweet treats to feed the partygoers. We whipped up a few batches of these, covered them in edible glitter and they were gobbled up in no time.

WHAT YOU NEED

• 120g butter
  • 1⁄2 cup soya oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 100g 72% cocoa chocolate
  • 1⁄2 cup cocoa
  • 1 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (Not essence! Throw that stuff in the bin, kids!) 1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 cups of flour
  • frozen rapberries

AND FOR YOUR FROSTING

• 120g butter, soft
  • 200g cream cheese, soft
  • 1⁄2 packet of raspberry raro dissolved in 2 tbsp boiling water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • red food colouring
  • 5 cups of icing sugar

WHAT TO DO

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius and line a cupcake tray with paper cases. This recipe will make 24 big cupcakes or twice as many little ones. Melt the butter, oil, chocolate and water together in a pan on a medium heat. Turn of the heat, dump in sifted cocoa and the caster sugar and whisk like a you ain’t never whisked before. Add eggs and vanilla, whisk again. In separate bowl combine buttermilk, baking powder and baking soda, add this and the flour to the chocolate mix and whisk again. Stand for ten minutes, then fill each cupcake paper 3⁄4 full and stuff a few raspberries in the middle (or one if they’re mini cupcakes). Bake for 15-20 mins or until they bounce back when you touch them. Frost when cooled. For the frosting, beat the butter, cream cheese, raro mix, vanilla and colouring together till smooth. Add icing sugar a cup at the time while beating. Chill your frosting for 10 mins if piping, if not just slap it on.