March 12, 2012 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

Review – A Play About Love

DESIGNED, WRITTEN, & PERFORMED BY: Hannah Banks, Kate Clarkin, Uther Dean, William O’Neil & Paul Waggot.

“I don’t want a new paragraph. I want to turn a full-stop into a comma.” 

A Play about Love took as its central provocation a relationship between a girl who makes snow globes and a stationer who jots ideas—including copying out text messages—on post-it notes. The programme states that the production started out as facts, but ended up as fiction. However, the facts remain at the heart of this touching piece.

The audience takes the role of “you”—half of the relationship acted out on stage. The actors then take turns playing both the role of the stationer and acting as our surrogate for portions of the action. However, the cast lets us play our role with subtle, clever use of direct address. For instance, two actors simultaneously play the lead role and tell us about the first time they said they loved us. Our response? Nothing; as an audience, we sit, dumbly staring into the face(s) of the person who has just expressed their love for us, unable to reciprocate.

Like the subject matter, A Play about Love is not perfect. At points the intellectual discussion of love descends into banal didacticism; discussions that attempt to intellectualise the emotion often fail. Yet, the earnestness and intensity of feeling the cast bring to both the formulation and performance of this project makes it a sweet, touching, heart-warming piece.

A PLAY ABOUT LOVE RUNS FROM 6-10 AND 13-17 MARCH AT 8PM. TICKETS COST $18/$13 

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,