March 19, 2012 | by  |

Review – The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

DIRECTOR: Robert Wiene 

“That night there occurred the first of a series of mysterious crimes…Murder!’”

When a circus visits a mountain village in Germany, the most thrilling and anticipated act is Cesare the Somnambulist, a man who has slept constantly for 23 years. The arrival of the Somnambulist and his master, the enigmatic and peculiar Dr Caligari, is marked by a series of disappearances and killings which confound the townspeople. Made in 1920 and directed by Robert Wiene, The Cabinet of Dr Caligari is one of the most influential and acclaimed films of the German expressionist movement, the action unfolding in a painter’s world of patterns and angles. The characters are puppet- like figures, mostly wearing top hats, staggering around these beautifully- constructed soundstage sets.

One of the first horror films and a key influence on the  popular film noir style in 1940s Hollywood, Caligari is entirely disconcerting and not at all like the horror films you’ll be used to seeing. For the uninitiated to silent cinema, the lip-reading and intertitles take some getting used to. However, with broad, theatrical acting and the intriguing, surreal landscape, it’s not a hard film to pay attention to. The shaky handwriting of the intertitles is a sufficient guide, moving us through the complex plot with the help of a trembling string sextet.

However, as the predictably fumbling police catch the wrong man and the murders continue, you may smugly declare that it’s pretty obvious who the real murderer is—isn’t it? Perhaps not; the film shifts the investigation to an asylum, blurring the lines between good and evil, sane and mad, and in doing so is responsible for one of the most innovative and groundbreaking third acts in modern cinema. Reality is uncertain. Bizarre and entertaining, The Cabinet of Dr Caligari won’t make you jump or scream, but it is undeniably creepy.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 41 views
  2. The Übermensch 37 views
  3. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 27 views
  4. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 27 views
  5. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 16 views
  6. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 15 views
  7. The Bresolin Brothers 14 views
  8. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 13 views
  9. The Sedulous Recorder 13 views
  10. Twitterviews 12 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more